Success Secret 6:
If You Want To Be Successful Then Make Decisions Quickly
Successful people don't waste time agonizing over decisions. The make them quickly and work to make them right.
|““The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure , the process is its own reward.”|
- Amelia Earhart
The ability to make decisions separates the achievers from the failures.
Achievers tend to make decisions quickly and change them rarely. The will persist with decisions until they become successful.
The failures tend not to make decisions at all. If they do they'll abandon their decisions at the first sign of difficulty. Consequently they are forced to live with decisions made by others and find their life is frequently out of their control.
- making a good or right decision doesn't automatically guarantee a good or right result
- making a bad or wrong decision doesn't mean the outcome will be disastrous
- whether or not a decision was the right one may never be known because it's impossible to know what the outcome of an alternative decision would have been
- when a decision is made it's time to stop worrying and start working to get good outcomes
- if a decision is obviously bad it's time to make a new decision
- if in doubt about a decision because of pressure "no" should be your default answer. It is always easier to change a "no" to a "yes" than vice versa
6 Characteristics Of Good Decision Makers
- Can tolerate ambiguity.
Difficult decisions are never good or bad or right or wrong which is why they are difficult in the first place. Good decision makers simply look for which decision will most likely produce the desired outcome.
- Know exactly what they're trying to achieve.
When you know what you want the end result to look like the right decision to make can become obvious.
- Ask quality questions.
It's impossible to know all the questions you should ask because you don't know what you don't know. However you should be prepared to ask questions that will get you to the point where you can make an informed decision.
- Don't take feedback personally.
They use feedback as an opportunity to improve and not as an excuse to get offended.
- Work to make a bad decision good.
Often, it's simply not possible to change a decision if, in hindsight it's a bad one. Rather than grizzle about it, they'll work their butts off to make sure the original decision turns out OK.
- Listen to their intuition.
Don't just rely on the cold, hard facts. Listen to what you're gut is saying.
Make Decisions For Yourself
There is a lot of information available on the internet regarding how crucial it is for leaders in large organisations to be able to make decisions but very little information stressing how critical it is for an individual too.
But then it occurred to me that we are all leaders of our own lives. Afterall, if you're not leading your own life then who is?
To some of you it may seem that you are a passive observer of your own life and that decisions have been forced upon you by others. But let me just say if you were faced with a decision and chose not to make one or chose to let someone else decide then that's a decision too!
Some of you may be thinking But I didn't decide to __________. I wasn't given the opportunity to choose. and that may be true but you do get to decide your responses and attitudes.
Decision making is critical to living a happy life because it keeps your momentum in a forward direction.
Click here for more success secrets.
Go from Make Decisions to Live Life Abundance home page.